Monday 13 February 2017

What Could Have Been (Newshoots submission)

"It's that time of the year again."

"You say that so grimly."

"How else would I say it?"

"Well, I just thought... after these years-"

"The way I felt hasn't changed. Still feelin' it."

"I'm sorry."

"I brought your favourite, caramel popcorn."

"That's fattening, yeesh."

"Come on, you don't have to worry about that stuff! It isn't even like you'll be eating it."

"I know, but even so, you should be careful about your diet."

"These days, I haven't really given that sort of stuff a thought."

"Oh."

"It isn't your fault, you know."

"Yes it is, but, there was no other way."

"You don't know that! If you had just given me a little longer, another chance, I would have-"

"Saved me?"

"Yes!"

"I was a lost cause."

"No... no you weren't... I wouldn't have let you stayed that way, I wouldn't have let you think             that any longer."

"You tried your hardest, stop blaming yourself."

"How can I? I should have tried harder! If I did we wouldn't be in this situation now!"

"You tried your hardest. It kept me with you for much longer than I intended to. Doesn't that count as something? You were able postpone something that had been planned for so long."

"Yes, but-"

"It counted."

"I wanted more, I want more! Three more years weren't close to enough. God, I wish you had             called me then. Why didn't you call me? Or- or message me? Anything to tell me what you                 were going through that night! I could have gotten you out of it like I had so many times                     before!"

"I know you would have made me change my mind! That's why I didn't- couldn't call you! I know how selfish it was! I know the only thing you blame me for is being selfish and not considering the consequences, but I had to do it! Please, understand. It's too late now anyways. All you can do is try to understand."

"I do understand. I understand all of it, but I still wish I could have helped you more. It hurts               so much, even now. It's like pain from a fresh wound, it stings when you touch it but even if                  you don't it's an unceasing burning. Don't you understand where I'm coming from?"

"I wouldn't be where I am now if I didn't understand that."

"I really thought we would face the world together, you know. Have each other's backs at                     fifty, sixty, hell, eighty years old."

"..."

"We'd live real close to each other, maybe across the street or even in the same building, and              we'd do the groceries together, hangout at each other's places so often we'd have each other's                keys, go to Paris, Italy, Hawaii, the Maldives..."

"That would have been nice, but impossible."

"Now it's impossible."

"..."

"I think it could have happened. It would have, if I had tried harder. You're the strongest                        person I know. I have yet to come across anyone stronger."

"I don't blame you for anything."

"Yeah, I know. And I don't blame you for being where you were. Guess the way we think just             leads us to dead ends doesn't it."

"Don't lose the hope you had before. You were kind enough to hope for me, believe so purely that I could get out of my mess, you should invest that in yourself now. Don't waste any more on me."

"I never wasted a single ounce of hope on you. I've never thought that way, not once."

"I always wondered how you could bear coming back so many times, seems you had some faulty wiring up there."

"I'm glad I had faulty wiring."

"That's such a you thing to say."

"I'm really happy you existed. Nothing will ever change that. I'm really grateful we could                     spend some time existing together. I won't forget a single memory of you. I'll cherish them                   forever."

"Thank you."


4 comments:

  1. I found your dialogue to be intriguing. At first I did not realize who the dialogue was between, and the story was a bit hard to understand. But after realizing it was between two friends, one being dead the story made sense. I think the perspective of this dialogue was quite different. I like the description you used and the conversation between the two people. It seemed very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I was a bit worried about making one party dead haha, I wasn't sure how that would come through to the reader but I'm glad you realized it ( ;) )..

      Delete
  2. OOH THE OTHER ONE WAS DEAD! Thanks Emma, because I erm did not get that. I knew the second character had done something significant, but I thought it was going to jail or running away for example.

    It was hard to distinguish the characters in their initial small talk, but as their personalities became apparent it became easier to follow. The desperation and love in the first character's was a clear contrast to the cold distance of the second character. The way the arc comes to an emotional conclusion at the end, with the two of them finding closure in each other's lives was quite powerful.

    I am still a little confused about the actual details. Why did the second character commit suicide? Also, why does the first character bring caramel popcorn at the beginning; what is the significance? Is the first character dead too; where are they? His/her final statements are in past tense and have a strong sense of finality to them. I think I may require some explanation to understand what's going on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES OTHER ONE IS DEAD! Andrew stahp you're asking questions that aren't meant to be answered (here, lel). All will be revealed tomorrow....(spook spook).

      Delete