Saturday 8 October 2016

Autumn Meets a Water Body




Fragile flakes of gold,
Floating atop crystalline
Transparent cyan.

_____


     As I was walking by this, I had a feeling of, "What a beautiful occurrence, despite the simplicity of plain, drying leaves to fall into the fountain next to the tree it once grew on".  I had to turn back, as with every step, I thought, "Even if this turns out to be a plain image, I will not forget what I felt when I viewed this happening, that most would not bat an eyelash at".

     I wonder now if something like this is important, if seeing the beauty - or perhaps, desperately (?), foolishly(?) searching for what can be "beautiful" of common occurrences- matters, or will matter. Cézanne saw what other did not, in apples. He romanticized, worshipped, adored, loved these fruits (that have been more expensive to buy in bulk lately at Costco). He painted the common fruit in various lighting and settings, admiring the lush reds fade into ambers. Maybe we say this man understood a bit more than others. That he understood the beauty of things we take for granted in life, but do we really mean it? Somewhere inside, we also think, "They are but fruit, nutritious, sweet, crunchy too sometimes, but nothing more, nothing less".  I wonder if those golden leaves in the neighbourhood fountains matter. Of course they don't. But... they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment